Monday, December 10, 2018

South Mayde Creek



Cisco took his eighth squirrel this morning after super performance. Other side of South Mayde Creek of course. Park was closed to vehicle traffic. Great  hunt really. 

It took thirty minutes from the time I realized Cisco was on ground to actually seeing him hiding under this little tree on the far side of the creek. The sound of his bell and the fact the dog looked straight across the creek were consistent with a kill. I didn't see or hear the grab. Cisco was really fired up at 918 grams, hunting for a while and missing. Then he caught this adolescent squirrel. I went back to the truck, put Arnold in the crate. I drove over from the parking lot across Saums Road to the bridge on Groesche Road, hiked in and tracked with receiver. He had done a lot of plucking, but had only eaten one front leg. He was happy to bring the squirrel to me in exchange for some jackrabbit. I cut off the head, clipped him up, and trekked back.

He is catching small squirrels consistently, which is great. Only one large one out of eight this season. Works for me.



And we can't overlook Farrah's first and only jackrabbit. Taken at NAFA meet in Lubbock last Tuesday. About three kilograms in weight, hawk food for a month and a half. Farrah has tracked a jack or two over the years, but this is first time she got serious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment